Wednesday, December 05, 2007

I cite, you borrow, he steals...

Anyone who appreciates the hard work that goes into a decent presentation or book should read Doug Burns' tale of woe. Isaac Newton is widely quoted acknowledging his debt to other scientists: "If I see further, it is because I am standing on the shoulder of giants". Don't let's tolerate those who seek to take the credit for another's efforts without due courtesy or recompense.

I find it particularly annoying as Doug (whose blog I read regularly, but whom I have never met in person) seems to be particularly (even pathologically?) careful to acknowledge where he gets his ideas from.

Take care to read the comments as well as the blog itself. This one will run and run...

Happy UKOUG by the way (from darkest Lancashire at the moment)!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yep, pathological would get my vote ;-)